Wednesday, November 3, 2010

La Vita Loca

I'm not sure how I continue to get pulled into the middle of political situations in the workplace. When a colleague seems to be taking some kind of retributive action against a student, I feel an obligation to step in. But should I? Or am I meddling? Getting involved in a situation that's none of my business? Do I have a responsibility to protect students? I think I should help to promote an atmosphere conducive to learning that's free of harassment. But it's hard when some are so good at it--they find ways to cast the student as the villain, weakling, or liar again and again. After a while, I don't know how others don't ask themselves how this individual is so unlucky as to be continually afflicted with students of such low moral calibre. These students are interviewed and scrutinized within an inch of their lives prior to admission, after all.

I feel a responsibility, but I know what I'm getting into. It'll be unpleasant, and some will think my actions have to do with the instructor in question. But I've been on the other side of this. I should help, even if it means some inconvenience for me. I just hope I can help. I have to hope that objective individuals will see reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment